Relax Noise 3
OS: Android 2.1 or higher
type: Freeware (no ads)
Relax Noise 3 helps to stay focused in a busy environment at office or home. It masks nerving ambient noise with white, pink or red background noise. Also helpful against Tinnitus, either as Tinnitus masker or as Tinnitus noiser.
All three noise signals are random signals but with different acoustic colours:
White noise has a flat power spectral density and corresponds to the background noise of electronic amplifiers (thermal or resistor noise). Here a white noise sample, the same noise is used in Relax Noise 3:
Pink noise has a power spectral density which is inversely proportional to the frequency (1/f). Pink noise occurs in electronic devices (flicker noise) and also as ambient noise in the nature. It sounds like leaves rustling or rushing water. Here a pink noise sample as used in the app:
Red or brown noise has like pink noise a decreasing power spectral density but it is louder at lower frequencies (1/f²). In nature it sound similar to waterfalls, heavy rainfalls or to the sounds of the sea. Here a red noise sample:
White, pink or red noise as concentration aid
Just choose the ambient noise which you like most. Phone calls or discussions in the office as well as from the neighbourhood
are less disturbing when they are embedded in plain background noise. In this way the noise generator helps staying focused
even in very busy environments.
Adjust the sound volume of the noise generator rather low so you can still hear the environmental noise. However, it should be loud enough that you must not compulsorily follow unwanted conversations.
Tinnitus Masker / Noiser
Tinnitus Masker: When using Relax Noise 3 as Tinnitus masker the volume of the noise generator should be loud enough, that the Tinnitus cannot be heard anymore. So you are able to relax and recover from your Tinnitus for a while. However, healing is not possible with a Tinnitus masker. When you turn the noise generator off, your will perceive your Tinnitus with the same loudness as before or (like on the author's experience) for a few minutes even louder.
Tinnitus Noiser: The loudness of the noise generator should be tuned lower than the Tinnitus in the head. The Tinnitus is still audible, but because of the additional ambient noise the Tinnitus is perceived less annoying and can be better masked or ignored from the brain. The brain is supposed to learn reducing the Tinnitus and a permanent recovery can be achieved. Tinnitus noiser are used in the Tinnitus retraining therapy.
Noise for meditation
The noise generator simply masks distracting noise from the neighbours (noisy radios, TVs, phone calls or conversations) and helps to stay focused during the meditation practice. Since Relax Noise 3 includes a programmable turn off timer, you can also use it as meditation timer. If you rather prefer a "noiseless" meditation timer, please have a look at our Medigong app.
Noise as sleeping aid
Disturbing noise from nocturnal neighbours is drown out and makes it easier to fall asleep.
Never use it in road transport or while driving a car!!!
You can also program the timer to turn off Relax Noise 3 automatically after an adjustable period of time. Setting the timer to "00:00" means that the timer is disabled and Relax Noise 3 runs endless.
- 3 random noise sounds: white noise, pink noise
- programmable timer (1min – 24hours) to turn the noise generator off
- adjustable volume
- adjustable fade out (1sec - 30secs)
- dimmable background
- optionally disable noise generator during phone calls
- optionally second noise generator in parallel (to reduce distortions or gaps in the noise signal of the main noise generator)
Relax Noise 3 does not require any internet access, is free of advertising and will remain so in the future!
Further features planned:
- homescreen widget
- more sounds
Download / Install
*To allow the download and installation of Android applications from the internet, you need to enable the option "Unknown
sources / Allow installation of non-
Notice / Help
We test our applications very carefully before we release them. However, if you find a problem please help us solving it and send us an error report.
- Update for Android 5.1 Lollipop.
- Bugfix in V1.5: Turn-off time reduced by half when utilizing two noise generators in parallel.
- Optionally disable or enable noise generator during phone calls.
- Optionally two noise generators in parallel.
- 10 more languages added: Chinese, French, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.
- Utilizing longer audio tracks with modified sampling rates (workaround for random small gaps in the noise on a few devices).
- Improved behaviour when phone calls coming in; muting the noise generator.
- Design improvements for Android 3 and Android 4, new Holo themes with action bar enabled.
- Minor bugfix in Volume/Loudness setup.
- Adjustable Fade Out
- Improved turn off timer (more reliable)
- Workaround for the small gaps or breaks in the noise signal on some newer Android devices (Android issue 18756).
- first release